Sometimes it's hard to know what to say, or how to reach out to a friend who is going through the trials of life. It can be equally as difficult to find the words that convey genuine heartfelt thanks, or a tangible expression of joy for the gift of friendship by a particularly special person.
Perhaps this very simple but elegant little gift project will be of use to you in just such a situation?
I made it a few years ago for a friend who was moving away, and thought it would be a nice idea to share with you today...
You can use this idea in small or large projects. The key is to use what you have on hand - fabric, beads, flowers, lace, brooches or pretty buttons.
So let's see how I put this sweet 'Believe' fabric notelet together, shall we?
* I began with a 4" x 5" piece of pale blue tonal fabric. Choose a pale background fabric so that the word you use, and the embellishments that will decorate the notelet, stand out.
You can use any word, or name, you like. I chose 'believe' because it's personal to me, and something as a Christian I feel we need to be reminded of - especially when facing difficult struggles.
Trace your word across the bottom centre of the fabric, on a slight angle. I hand drew my word, but if you're not comfortable with that why not choose a font from Microsoft Office or from the numerous free font sites online?
* Fuse a same sized square of Pellon or a scrap piece of quilt wadding behind the block.
Backstitch the word with two strands of thread. Add a pearl seed bead as the period above the stroke of the 'i'.
* Pin a length of lace across the fabric - above the word and on an angle. Thread a bead or embellishment onto the lace so that it sits about two-thirds of the way up the lace...pin in place.
NOTE: I used a pearl bead pendant drop that I purchased in a bulk lot. They ended up costing me about $1 each.
Sew a small satin rosette above the bead...I had previously tea dyed my rosette to soften the colour.
* Use running stitch and one strand of matching thread to hand sew the lace in place.
* Next, I embroidered little lazy daisy leaves in soft green above the lace, and larger pink lazy daisy stitches for the flower.
* Now sew tiny pearl seed beads inside the pink flower stitches...
* To finish my Believe notelet I added a fabric backing, before attaching some coordinating binding. Before stitching the binding down at the back, I added a small loop of lace at the centre top of the notelet for hanging later by the gift recipient...
* Place inside a matching envelope...
...and tie with a bow.
Isn't that a special gift?
And you can make the whole thing beautifully in about 90 minutes.
IDEA: It's almost Mother's Day in Australia - this would be perfect with 'Mum' or 'Mother' as the word!
If you make this, or something inspired by this little tutorial, send me a photo HERE and I'll share it in a blog post.
Do you visit Pinterest?
If you hover over any of the Elefantz photos on my blog you can click on the large pink P that pops up and instantly pin the photo on your Pinterest boards!
If you would like to share this tutorial on Pinterest, here is a picture board you may choose to use...
...or you can share any of the larger individual photos of the 'Believe' Notelet Tutorial.
Now how easy is that?
Mr E and I are still down with the flu. We both agree we've never been hit by a virus as hard as this one.
I'm just so pleased I have plenty of stitching to keep me stationary and rested...