* One small stitchery which will be trimmed to 4” high x 3 ¾” wide. (IDEA: You could also fussy-cut a pretty section of fabric, or make a tiny paper-pieced flower.)
* Two different fabrics - one peach tonal, one aqua floral.
* One, ½” x 9” length of aqua cotton lace
* One, ½” x 26” length of aqua silk ribbon
* One, 5” x 9” rectangle of thin Pellon or quilt wadding
From the aqua floral fabric cut –
o Two, 1” x 4” lengths
o Two, 1” x 4 ¾” lengths
o One, 4 ¾” x 5” rectangle
o One, 6” x 9” rectangle
From the peach tonal fabric, cut –
o One, 5” x 9” rectangle
After trimming the stitchery…
* Create a floral border around the stitchery block by sewing the 1” x 4” lengths of fabric down both sides and the 1” x 4 ¾” lengths across the top and bottom. Press the seams away from the stitchery.
* Sew the 4 ¾” x 5” rectangle of fabric to the left side of your bordered stitchery. Press the seam open. This is now the front of your needle-book. Put this aside while we make the lining and pocket.
* Fuse the Pellon behind the 5” x 9” rectangle of peach tonal fabric.
* Lay the pocket over the peach fabric, the raw bottom edge of the pocket in line with the bottom edge of the peach fabric.
* Draw 4 very faint pencil lines down the peach
fabric and over the pocket. These will create the two smaller pockets for
storing packets of needles. Use the walking foot on your sewing machine (if you
have one) to stitch these lines.
* The two outer lines need to be placed 1” from the side edge, and the two middle lines are to be made 3” inside the outer lines. In the photo below the white dashed line represents the middle of the needle-book lining – do not stitch this yet.
* Sew around the outer edges with a ¼” seam, leaving a 3” opening along one side of the needle-book.
*Turn the needle-book right side out and press it flat with your iron. Ladder stitch the opening closed.
* Find the middle of your length of silk ribbon and pin it onto the centre seam of your needle-book front. Machine-sew a line down the length of the centre seam, catching the ribbon as you go.