Remember the beautiful bunch of roses I bought for $5 last week?
I'm afraid this rather hot 'late winter in the tropics' gave them a little battering, so even after changing the water they were drooping rather sadly. Still, I bought them when they were already passed their prime, yet awfully gorgeous to my eyes...I'm rather grateful I was given a week with them.
But all was not lost!
I trimmed them from their stems yesterday and bedded them in a lovely vintage bowl to dry...
Just out of curiosity I drove back to the market where I'd bought them a week ago to see if they had any more 'past their peak' roses for sale.
$7 later I came home with these lovelies...
They are keeping my bowl of roses company. I'm blessed.
That's what I told myself yesterday when I was putting blocks together for my free 'Shabby Roses Home' quilt.
Just to refresh your memory, these are blocks 1 & 2, which I shared on the 19th of last month...
Now, I'm going to be really honest here because I may encourage you if you're facing a dilemma like mine!
I don't like the sashing in block 1 that separates a, b, c and d.
It's been bugging me for almost a month, and it wasn't until I was piecing another block yesterday that I decided I had to be brave and take it apart. It just wasn't working in the quilt.
With a deep breath, and not letting a moment of possible doubt have time to thwart me, I started snipping threads!
I unpicked block 1 completely, chose new sashing fabric between the alphabet letters, and sewed it all together again...
I smiled. Contentment with fabric choice is a lovely feeling.
The first sashing strips I used were just too large and pale for the little alphabet letters.
They are the star you see, and needed a small print in a solid colour to help them shine!
All is well in Shabby Roses Home again.
Don't be scared to pull something apart and re-do it. The satisfaction you'll get once it's done is worth the effort.
Blocks 3 & 4 will be here to greet you on Monday!
Have a rosy, and sweet weekend my friends,