I've never been very good at adding a label to my quilts when I gift them. Mostly I forget or run out of time before the big day.
What about you?
For some reason I had this on my mind a few weeks back and rather than let the thought escape I decided to sit down and sketch a label which would suit any handmade gift.
I chain stitched the cotton reel outline before adding a line of running stitch along the inside edge.
You'll find running stitch on most of my stitcheries because that quick addition of dashed threads sitting inside or outside of a main section of design gives it more body, helping it to stand out more.
I've used two strands of thread for the cotton reel, flowers and leaves, but just a single strand for the wording.
This is because the words look more like hand written script with a single strand, but you do need to keep your stitches small.
As a label you could stitch the recipient's name as well.
For example - "To ????..." above the spool, and "From ????..." under the spool.
Write the names onto the pattern sheet and trace from that, or choose a nice font from your computer and print it up to trace.
Of course, it can be more than a label. What about a lovely cover for a needle book or embroidered on a pincushion?
This pattern will be inside the June issue of The Stitchery Club which is emailed to all subscribers on the 17th of the month.
There's still time to join this month (plus you'll receive the February 2016 issue as a bonus gift!).
Last week you saw the two quilt patterns I intend making this year.
Well, on Friday I made a start on the smaller quilt and by mid afternoon today (Monday) I'd pieced the entire quilt and finished the applique!
Friday afternoon I had all the fabrics chosen and cut. Most of them were Tilda scraps so that part was easy, but finding ten neutral low volume prints was not.
In fact, I searched my fabric shelves for a variety to choose from and could only find ten so had no choice but to use them and hope they worked.
Fortunately they did.
Saturday afternoon was spent piecing four log cabin blocks before sewing them together as one larger block for the quilt background.
On Sunday afternoon I traced the applique shapes onto Vliesofix, chose fabrics for the various shapes, and then fused everything in position.
I ummed and aahed about whether to use a number of different threads to blend with the applique fabrics or one single colour to stitch around all the shapes.
Eventually, after a few cups of chamomile tea and some early dinner preparation, my decision was made and I chose a brown thread for the blanket stitch applique and red thread to backstitch the wording.
I fused Whisperweft behind the quilt top before beginning the hand applique for two reasons.
Firstly to add stability as I stitched, and secondly because it drapes like fabric and won't hinder the final feel of the finished wall quilt. I like any quilt, even the small ones, to be soft and flowing.
On Sunday night after dinner I began the hand applique, finishing the tree, leaves and apples by bedtime.
This morning I wasn't feeling very well and couldn't do much around home or in the office so decided to relax with a movie and finish the front of the quilt...
I rather like it.
It's been lovely to step away from my own designs and play with someone else's.
I've not decided yet whether I'll hand or machine quilt this project so I'll let it hang in the sewing room for a few days while I catch up on other things. Hopefully as I walk past ideas might spark in my head.
For those who wanted to know, this pattern is by Laurel Arestad of "Simply Put Plus" and was inside the Spring 2017 issue of Simply Vintage magazine.
The pattern is also HERE on Laural's website.
I'm feeling much better tonight but Mr E insisted on getting dinner so I have bowed to his judgement and shall enjoy a relaxed evening with some knitting and the next episode of Masterchef Australia.
Tomorrow's another day.
May your week be wonderful in every way!